Friday, September 12, 2008

She's nothing if not confident. Is that a lesson we could constructively take from Palin?

I was struck by this headline from the NYT today: "In First Big Interview, Palin says 'I'm Ready.'" Here's an excerpt from the story about Charles Gibson's interview with Sarah Palin, which aired last night on ABC:

“I’m ready,” Ms. Palin answered without any hesitation in an interview with ABC News on Thursday, saying she had felt no doubt about accepting Senator John McCain’s offer to run as his vice-presidential nominee.

“I answered him yes, because I have the confidence in that readiness and knowing that you can’t blink,” Ms. Palin told her interviewer, Charles Gibson. “You have to be wired in a way of being so committed to the mission, the mission that we’re on, reform of this country and victory in the war.”

It reminded me of something I'd read earlier about Palin -- about that trip to Dallas just before Trig was born, when the gathered Republican governors were asked who among them would not be willing to serve as McCain's running mate. Palin was among those who indicated her willingness to run for V.P. That happened as she was in the 8th month of a pregnancy, a state that would give many of us pause about committing in the near future to something so small as a volunteer role in a community organization.

The NYT story goes on to report that the Gibson interview did, however, reveal chinks in Palin's armor. I didn't see the interview, but she was apparently at times "visibly nervous."

Because most women sell themselves (ourselves!) short and learn the delicate art of self promotion late in life, if ever, this may be a way in which Palin should/would/can be a role model for us. Right now, it's her only characteristic I find myself wanting to emulate. Women can benefit from taking more career risks; doing so can push us to see what more we're capable of. Is it our lack of confidence, our failure to take risks that is partly responsible for that earnings gap I wrote of in my earlier post today?

At the same time, I'm reminded by what I read of last night's Palin interview that confidence should be at least somewhat commensurate with one's capacity to deliver.

Photo of Palin and Gibson by Donna Svennevik for ABC/Getty Images.

1 comment:

Janet said...

I watched only a potion of the interview and, in addition to being visibly nervous, I would describe her as indignant and inept. Of course, I watched the portion of the interview where Charles Gibson asks her about the Bush Doctrine and she has NO IDEA what he is talking about. It went like this:

Gibson: "Do you agree with the Bush Doctrine?"

Palin: "In what respect, Charlie?"

G: "The Bush -- well, what do you interpret it to be?"

P: "His world view?"

G: "No, the Bush Doctrine, enunciated in September 2002, before the Iraq war."

Isn't that a scary thought? Eek!